crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 11 02:59:08 UTC 2006

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 16:43 -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>> I don't think so, as we would not be either distributing or requiring
>> any non-open solution.  We're just making it easier for people who
>> are using a VM system, open or not, to do QA.
>
> Well, the image would be vmware (vmplayer) specific.  But since that is
> free to the public we aren't breaking any laws or asking people to.

The first thing the advisories all say is to make sure you've installed
all other updates before installing the latest update(s).  Since I doubt
we would keep the VM image up-to-date, we'd have to assume the user will
do so...  As such, is there really a big advantage to providing a base
image?  Also, if this is a "minimum" system image, then many updates
won't install due to dependencies, and again would it really be worth
it?

I'd rather see a full install myself, that can be kept updated, for the
QA.

> In this case, the image would be the file that vmplayer software can
> use.  I don't think the image file would be useful to any other
> software.

As I've never used vmplayer, and hence never set it up, how much
work/effort does this really save over doing it manually using
_good_ instructions?  I guess that is the part I'm missing...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!