no mandatory QA testing at all [Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing]

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 15 01:08:36 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

>> Yes, my indictment earlier was for *all* distributions of Linux.
>> But Legacy has gone further than I can follow along, that's all.
>

> We are merely discussing a proposal so legacy process hasnt gone further

That is not my understanding.

> at all. You also state that other distributions QA process is better.

Other distros do have better QA, as Red Hat itself says about FCx.
RHEL has, per Red Hat, better QA than FC.

> How do we know?. If they are better are you willing to get involved in

Well, I guess that Red Hat could be mistaken or misleading about
its own products and projects, but I doubt that.

> QA with the legacy project to help it be better?.  Thats what we need.
> More contributors working on it. Other discussions is just fluff.

No, I am not.

I sent out an e-mail some weeks ago suggesting that if
there were an easy way for me to test without endangering the stability
of my system, then I'd be willing to do some QA testing. The silence
even one reply. I saw recently some things about using VmWare perhaps
allowing one to do testing in a protected environment, but no one
really seems interested in following up on that.

So, while there is no backout procedure for the testing packages,
I am unwilling to do any testing.

And, before I get more unwelcome messages about "You get out what you
put in."

If someone offers something up free, without expectation of recompense,
and I accept it, giving back no recompense, then I do not feel
that I have done anything criminal, unethical, immoral, lazy,
ungrateful, or even unfriendly. So those of you who are tempted
to respond along these lines, save your collective breath.

However, I don't like those who look gift horses in the mouth any
more than any of you do. So I'm not one to complain about FC.
I use it. I don't have to like it or where it comes from, but
I don't complain about it unless I pay for it.

When I installed Red Hat 6.something and paid for it, I *did* complain,
and left Linux and especially Red Hat for quite some time due to what I
perceived to be the inadequate response of Red Hat at that time ("buy
the next version").

I installed FC2 because a company I got a contract with *asked* me to.
That contract has now expired, so I have no mooring to FCx other than
inertia in changing what is already set up and "working". I also don't
want to make it my hobby, any more than I want to make Windows my hobby.

But I'm not complaining about Fcx, or Legacy for FC2 in particular.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.