FC3 yum instructions

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 22 19:39:45 UTC 2006

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 13:20 -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>>
>> But then, our web presence has never been good anyway, since no one will
>> participate in the process.  I proposed an updated overview years ago, and
>> have received basically no feedback of any sort, and no go-ahead to
>>  implement
>> it, and any attempt to get it approved has failed.
>
> Probably because webwork isn't fun

The work was done.  We only needed to vote on it.

> and nobody feels like they have the
> 'authority' to approve or disapprove updates.

Well, the system is set up to do just that.  So if no one feels they
can do what the system is setup to do, then we have a problem.

> Moving to the wiki allows for changes to happen more rapidly, and if
> they appear to be bad changes, we can roll them back fairly easily.

The changes to the overview are in the wiki.  Has not helped one bit.

The previous "idea" which you created was that we created docs in the
wiki (easy to do, let's everyone collaborate, etc) and when finished
they are moved to the web...

> Yes
> you can do this now with our website, but there is one you, and it is
> non trivial to add more people to the current web system to be able to
> do updates and such.

Whether that is true or not doesn't matter, as it is not relevant to the
issue.  I'm talking about a document in the wiki, which no one has bothered
to approve over the course of years...  A document that is supposed to
define our group and our purpose.  A document who's official version which
is on the web is comically out of date.

This is not a web issue.  This is a leadership issue, and a participation
issue.  Not having updated our overview makes us look bad, makes us
look unprofessional, makes us look like a dead project.

Similarly, I feel moving to the wiki will make us look bad, and make us
look unprofessional, but maybe at least it will get someone to edit pages
and at least we might not look so dead...  So there might be at least
one upside to it.

In any case, this is my last reply to the thread, and it is just, at least
in my own postings, too negative to bear.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!