Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

Matt Nuzum matt.followers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:24:55 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> Where "Fedora Legacy" is mentioned, couple it with "The Community
> Maintenance Project".  IE "Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance
> Project".  Terms like 'Core', 'Extras', and 'Legacy' are pretty generic,
> and require descriptive terms.  The terms I propose for use with Legacy
> are userfriendly and accurate.

This sounds good. This makes more sense if you interpret it after the
statement that folows regarding use of the term EOL.

> Discontinue the use of 'End of Life'.  This term is very misleading.  A
> core release that Fedora Legacy maintains is not End of Life, it is just
> maintained by different folks.  Instead one can use the term
> 'maintenance mode'.  When a give Fedora Core release enters "maintenance
> mode", Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance Project, will take over
> maintenance of the release for Security issues.

This is an excellent idea. EOL is a very scary term and you're correct
that it isn't 100% accurate.

> Together with these term changes, I propose changes to Core to minimize
> the exposure of this project:
>
> Inclusion of Legacy repository and key information in the Core release.
> This will allow update programs which make use of yum to not need any
> changes once a release enters maintenance mode.

This is an absolutely brilliant plan.

> Package updates produced by Legacy published to fedora-list and
> fedora-announce-list.  This keeps our updates in the eyes of users
> without them having to subscribe to a new list.  Release emails should
> use the same or similar format that current Fedora update emails use.

I think FL (and FL users) will greatly benefit by having a closer,
more integrated relationship with the rest of the Fedora Community.

> These are the changes I see as necessary moving forward.  Please bear
> with us as we try to make each change while continuing to maintain
> releases.  If you have thoughts/suggestions, I welcome them.
>
> --
> Jesse Keating RHCE      (geek.j2solutions.net)
> Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedoralegacy.org)
> GPG Public Key          (geek.j2solutions.net/jkeating.j2solutions.pub)

I think this is an excellent plan and will help both the Fedora and
Fedora Legacy communities. It will bring the Fedora project closer to
the way RedHat's free products were prior to the RHEL/FC split prior
to FC1 being released (the glory days).

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt at followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"