Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:13:41 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Eric Rostetter <rostetter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:
>
> > RHL we agreed to support for a long period of time, however that time
> > may be up.  Personally I would really like to see these go, as they take
> > up a lot of our time when trying to push updates, we get very little
> > help, and updates are increasingly more difficult to do.  I would like
> > to hear discussion on if we should continue supporting it, how we can
> > make it easier to support, and a reasonable endpoint to the support, an
> > exit strategy.
>
> While I have various opinions on whether or not they should go, I'll stick
> with just some ideas on what we need to do if they do go.
>
> First, due to the way we promoted RHL support, if we do decide to drop it,
> we _MUST_ _NOT_ do so without a reasonable warning period.  That is, we can't
> just decide to drop it and do so immediately.  We would need to provide a

Jesse mentioned this right after FC4 was released and again when FC5
was out the door.  At which point there are a lot of people who come
out and say they still need support for RHL-7.3/RHL-9 but other than
Pekka seem to disappear again until the next announcement.

I am the kettle calling the pot black here.. other than testing the
Firefox builds a while back.. I havent had the time to do anything
else. From what I can tell from the amount of time it took me to try
and get that and some other back-queue items tested.. unless you can
honestly say you have 8 hours a week you can devote to a release...
asking for it to stay alive is just prolonging the pain.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator