Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

Tim Thome tthome at cox.net
Wed Jun 14 05:48:30 UTC 2006

Sorry for the late response, been busy with some other projects...
comments <inline>

seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 21:24 -0700, Tim Thome wrote:
>

>> There needs to be an end for 7.3, along with Fedora Core Releases 1
>> and 2, but there are non-hobby people and organizations that need
>> extended legacy support for RH9.
>>

> I'll translate this as
>
> "I use rh9, still"
>
> Is that a good translation?

Seth,

No, I'm not using RH9, however, a lot of folks are... and they paid for it.

Part of the obligation of the Legacy Support team is to support folks
for a period. Although it would be nice for RH to support RH9 directly,
folks have signed up within the Fedora Legacy camp to do this.

'nuff said.

>> My recommendation would be to end support for RH7.3 concurrently with
>> FC1 and FC2, and we can sunset RH9 when we EOL support for FC3. RH9
>> users should be gently prodded to move on to RHEL, or to another
>> linux distribution (CentOS for example).
>>

> when fc6 comes out rh9 users will have had almost 4 years to move to
> another distro or something newer.
>

> rh9 is in a persistent vegetative state. It's time to pull the plug.

RH9 is on the table, just waiting from someone to pronounce it dead,
agreed... we should support it for security fixes only.

Dead-end 7.3 and earlier, but smooth out the x-sition from RH9 to FC or
other distro's...

Just my thoughts...

Tim