Rebuild exisitng errata for x86_64?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sat Mar 4 04:20:49 UTC 2006

So with the new build software that we're having good success with we
can produce x86_64 packages (and with future hardware donations ppc
packages too).  We've been spinning all FC3 updates with x86_64
packages, but the question remains, do we want to rebuild all previously
released errata for x86_64, for releases that have x86_64 (FC1,2,3).
This could be a lot of work, and I'm concerned about the difference in
build systems.  Releasing x86_64 versions of packages built with a
different build system than that which produced the i386 versions just
doesn't sit well with me.  Then again, neither does rebuilding EVERY
errata on the new build system and re-releasing all the packages.

So I guess the bottom line question is, is there a significant amount of
users in the community that need these older FC's updates built for
x86_64, would be willing to do some basic QA on them, and would be
willing to accept packages built on a different build system?  Or should
we just continue from this point forward with just FC3+ supporting
x86_64?  (and set policy for if/when we get support for ppc packages)

I welcome your input.