X-Chat 2.4.0 to 2.6

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Mar 17 07:15:38 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 07:37, Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net wrote:
> > That's the mission. You *did* read the mission statement, didn't you?
>
> Nope. I dont like reading :P

If you don't read the sign that says "Caution: Sharks" then expect to be bit
occasionally.

> > Isn't that what FC4 is supposed to be?
>
> Where it ends? FC is not a good choice for production. Linux is stable,
> linux dont have to reboot much. Linux can run for years without a reboot.

If you run a Linux system for years without a reboot on a public network, then
your system is likely compromised, and is probably a launching point for
crackers, spam relays, DOS attacks, and the like. To securely admin any Linux
system all but requires a reboot to start using an updated kernel at the very
least every few months or so, and frequently more often than that.

> do not want to upgrade my production machines every 6 months because FC has
> a new version.

Then use CentOS if you like RedHat, or try Debian, Gentoo, or something else.

> Those new versions holds new versions of software. Why  cant they build one
> FC and update/upgrade just the installed versions?

Because, then, it wouldn't be the same release anymore? Perhaps I'm mistaken,
but questions like these indicate (to me) that you just want others to solve
your problems for free.

> You think every "user" reading that?
> Here a practical "user" example:
> - Hmm no more updates when  i do yum update
> - lets google
> - hey a new repo called legacy..
> - Ah here i found how to add it to my yum
> - Nice i get updates again
> But actualy it are not updates, but fixes/patches.

But they *are* updates. They are *security* updates, so that systems that are
otherwise stable don't have to be retired or "messed with" to keep working.
New versions would destabilize such systems. If you want *new* versions, then
get a *new* operating system version.

> -After some time, he finds out that newer versions are not delivered.
> -Finds alternate repos like atrpms dag dries livna etc...
> -doing yum update, "oh look again new versions :)"
>
> This is a real example how most of the linux users are doing without read
> any statement text. Because its not intresting to read :)

sed -e s/'most of the linux users'/'me'/g;

But you wouldn't read up to find out what that does either, would you?

-Ben

--
"I kept looking around for somebody to solve the problem.
Then I realized I am somebody"

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978