Fedora Legacy Update : kdelibs dependency problems

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Wed Mar 22 23:09:10 UTC 2006

A E Lawrence wrote:

> Trying to update (yum) the kdelibs and kdelibs-devel rpms fails on
> a AMD64 FC3 legacy system because all the other kde packages appear
> to require kdebase-3.3.1-4.3.FC3.
>
> I can't see anyone else reporting this problem in the archives of
> this list, so I am mystified. I suspect that I can force the
> upgrade without breaking anything by a manual "rpm -Fhv --
> nodeps ...", but I shouldn't need to do this, should I?

-F doesn't do a forced install, it is the 'freshen' option (only
updates packages if they're already installed). It looks like the
packaging is a bit funky. A file that is part of kdebase-3.3.1 is now
found in kdelibs-3.4.2 and a file that was in kdeartwork is now found
in kdelibs. It looks to me the old layout was correct and the new
kdelibs incorporates files it shouldn't. Note: I don't run 64 bit
Fedora and I don't use KDE either.

Nils.