New sendmail and missing /usr/lib/sendmail

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 25 06:14:43 UTC 2006

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> I had verified votes for all the platforms.

True.

> I also had LOTS of people
> asking when a release would come out, again and again.

Should not be relevent, especially if there is one in updates-testing.

> Unfortunately
> sendmail is one of those really crappy packages that does a ton of stuff
> in spec and deals w/ alternatives and gets used in so many different
> ways that it is hard to test every corner case.

Very hard with only 4-5 people testing it.  Yes.

> Admittedly the missing
> symlinks is a pretty glaring issue, but rpmdiff wouldn't find it as the
> links aren't provided by the package, nor does it prevent normal mail
> delivery, just things that look in /usr/lib/ for sendmail.

I've had issues with it moving my sendmail.mc to sendmail.mc.rpmsave
and either replacing it with a new sendmail.mc or leaving me with no
sendmail.mc at all.  In either case, unless I catch this and fix it,
my mail _does not_ get delivered normally.

Then of course reverting to the old sendmail.mc causes warnings (if
the old versions still had AUTO_REBUILD enabled, or I added FEATURE
lines after the MAILER lines, etc).  So I had to fix these to make it
work.

I _think_ there may have been similar problems with sendmail.cf, but
I can't be sure since I just got in the habit of rebuilding it from
sendmail.mc after the upgrade, due to the above issues.

I found several systems where sendmail was _not_ running after the upgrade.
I simply made sure the configs were okay (and rebuilt if not) and
started sendmail in those cases, without issue, but...

By the way, I never saw any of the symlink issues myself for some reason.
But I did have sendmail.{mc/cf} issues, and failures to run after the
upgrade...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics