You Need Fedora Legacy!! Re: [fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Nov 7 10:31:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 08:21:26AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> David Eisenstein wrote:
>
> > Fedora Board, please take heed.  Although providing a stable, long-term
> > operating system/environment is *not* one of Fedora Project's stated
> > goals, the practical lifetime of a Fedora release of 1 year (without
> > Legacy to be there to security-maintain them for (at least) 1 more year)
> > is ...  ridiculous -- except for the Linux enthusiast and those who love
> > sliding down the razor-blade of computing.
> >
> > The Fedora Legacy build team seems to be down now to 1 or 2 builders who
> > can push packages to Legacy's updates-testing and updates.
>
> OK, I'll bite.  What do you want exactly from the Board?
>
> Wave our magic Fedora wand to produce more (active) community contributors?
> OK, lemme see, now where did I leave that darn thing...

:)

I don't know if the board has power over suggesting to Fedora's
sponsor, Red Hat, to resuffle its engineering resources, but if so,
then it's a simple equation: If FL is indeed going to get more
resources to prolong a Fedora release's lifespan then these resources
need to be drained from somewhere. This can't be rawhide and the
latest release, but maybe the previous release (like in this timeframe
FC5). And it can't be Rex' magic hat either, I think it only produces
rabbits and not yet FL contributors. ;)

There are a couple of non-security/non-bugfixes updates happening in
FC5 right now, that maybe could had been cast into FL4 support.

And in the context of sparing resources FL would have to narrow the
support matrix to only one FL release. E.g. better to have good
support for one release than only half for two. That drops half a year
of support, but gains more trust back to FL if security issues within
a release can be addressed for that other half year in a timely
fashion.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net