Important information regarding the merger of core and extras, and what this means to Legacy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 20:43:43 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 15:34, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Clearly I'm in no position to impose anything. However, it'd certainly be
> helpful to us if Legacy could contine to extend the lifespan beyond the new
> proposed 13 months. And I mention it in case I'm not alone. [*]
>

> * In fact, I'm pretty certain I'm not, and that there are thousands of
> users running FC1, FC2, and FC3 and just waiting to become botnet members
> if they're not already. The difference is that my users have me to care
> about them.

But is there enough "you" to go around to do the updates?  That's the real
question here.  We can't stop people from being dumb and not upgrading their
release when it goes dead.  If we gave them 2 years, they'd take it and still
not upgrade and then what?  I think the Fedora project is really trying to
reach a reasonable amount of time that it can throw its entire support
behind.  The Legacy folks of past and present are totally awesome, and we
could really use their knowledge and eagerness to help in perhaps more
productive fashions.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora