lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Oct 19 18:28:02 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 13:57, Pekka Savola wrote:
> As a result, there are very few people left who care enough about
> FC3/FC4 updates.  There just aren't enough people to do the job, and
> the machinery to do the job has been way too heavyweight for a long
> time.  I guess one could still move the FC3/FC4 stuff to extras
> (instead of just declaring the project dead) but I doubt the number of
> contributors is going to rise dramatically as a result even if extras
> were used.  Some administrative overhead would be reduced but you'd
> someone would still be needed to do the work.

A good chunk of my proposal is removing administrative overhead.  Its overhead
now because we have to manually assemble the email, do write out the content,
checksome the packages, push them around etc..  Its VERY cumbersome, and
requires a lot of permissions I'm not happy about giving folks.  Moving it to
Extras and tying into existing scripts or slightly new scripts to do most the
work would lighten the load SIGNIFICANTLY.