lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 02:18:51 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> >> other

> >> Hat. (Or
> >> seems

> >> only a

> >> I don't believe that Linux in general has crossed the chasm yet. I think
> >> it's *all* still in the "early adopters" stage. But within the "Linux
> >> community" (oxymoron) FC is the early adopters of the early adopters.
> >>

> > That would put you in the conservative column then. So far at the 3
>
> No, I am not. I'm in the Pragmatist group.
>
> But you can't tell from what I wrote.
>
> > 10,000+ person companies I have worked at for the last 5 years, we
> > have replaced 90% of our Solaris, AIX, mainframes etc with Linux. From
> > what I have been helping with at other sites this has been the trend
>
> My opinion is based on the just recent (few months) decision of
> State governments to use Open Document formats, rather than MS
> proprietary. The people who use and promote Linux are, in the
> business world at least, still the "golly gee!" crowd, and
> not either the Pragmatists nor the Conservatives.
>
> > in the last 4 years. One site a friend works at just bought 5000 sun
> > boxes. Although they each have a Solaris license, none of them will be
> > using Solaris.. its just that the AMD hardware was considered better
> > to run the clusters on.
>
> These are interesting stats, and indicate that Linux may now be
> crossing the gap. I belive most offices are still firmly MS product
> houses, and a move to Linux would not even be considered. I know
> that every time I see a request for a resume, the format requested
> is MS Word.

Well there is a big difference between talking about Linux on the
desktop and Linux in the server. I think Linux in the server area
crossed the chasm a long time ago with over a million servers being
used by most of the Fortune 500.

On the personal desktop side.. I think it has crossed the chasm, but
will never be the Gorilla (to steal a term from Moore's "Inside the
Tornado"). A market place is usually split between a gorilla, 1-2
chimps, and the remaining monkeys. The 500 lb gorilla can get 40-85%
of the market and the chimps and the monkeys get the rest. The Ape of
the desktop market is of course Windows. Currently the Chimp #1 is
and Chimp #2 might be some brand of Linux... and the various 'monkeys'
being other brands of Linux/BSD/etc.

Looking over my data, it looks to break down this way:

Servers:  Linux 50%, Windows 30%, Unix <10%, Mac/etc the rest
Desktops: Windows 70%, Mac 20%, Linux/FreeBSD/etc the remaining 10%.

[So while we had 3000 Linux desktops at one site.. it was only 10%]

The embedded market space  (small routers, firewalls, small security
systems, cameras, etc) , we found that a majority of new systems were
coming with Linux installed on them (even if we didnt know about it
until we took them apart).