Now that fc2 is retired, is there any valid yum repos?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 15:56:50 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 08:07, Nils Breunese wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 14 September 2006 06:23, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet)
>>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't believe so. Fedora Core 2 is dead, you'll have to upgrade to
>>> a newer Fedora Core version (or migrate to something like CentOS if
>>> need a longer life cycle than Fedora's).
>>
>> I was afraid of that, but the last CentOS I pulled, 4.1, was even
>> older
>> than much of this heavily tarball updated FC2.  I hate going
>> backwards &
>> then reinventing all these wheels again.
>
>Is this a desktop workstation or a server? If this is a workstation
>or a non-production server, why not just go with the Fedora flow? I
>run Fedora Core 5 on my workstation and it's working just fine.
>
>If you really don't like upgrading your OS every couple of months I'd
>backup my data and do a fresh install of CentOS 4.4.

The last centos I pulled was 4.3 just a month ago, the kernel was in the
2.6.9.  Thats at least a year old, and ieee1394 support is broken, still
is for that matter.  Thats one thing I do keep up with, currently running
2.6.18-rc7.

Is it new enough that I can then build a current kernel and install all of
kino-0.8 and its utils, or am I headed (again) for dependency hell trying
to edit a wedding from my firewire equipt movie camera and burn a vcd of
it?  That would be the target job for me at the moment, the rest is
convienience stuff.  This is the only box with a firewire card installed,
and the rest are slower boxes.

I didn't know centos-4.4 was out, I may fire up azureas and nuke the 4.3
dvd images I have now.