Now that fc2 is retired, is there any valid yum repos?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 16:27:45 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 12:09, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet)
wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Is this a desktop workstation or a server? If this is a workstation
>>> or a non-production server, why not just go with the Fedora flow? I
>>> run Fedora Core 5 on my workstation and it's working just fine.
>>>
>>> If you really don't like upgrading your OS every couple of months I'd
>>> backup my data and do a fresh install of CentOS 4.4.
>>
>> The last centos I pulled was 4.3 just a month ago, the kernel was
>> in the
>> 2.6.9.  Thats at least a year old, and ieee1394 support is broken,
>> still
>> is for that matter.  Thats one thing I do keep up with, currently
>> running
>> 2.6.18-rc7.
>
>It's an enterprise OS, so don't expect the latest versions of
>packages in the official repositories. There are extra repositories
>that do provide newer packages (centos-plus et al). And you can
>always roll your own kernel if you need too. I'd just get a base
>system that fits most of your needs.
>
>> Is it new enough that I can then build a current kernel and install
>> all of
>> kino-0.8 and its utils, or am I headed (again) for dependency hell
>> trying
>> to edit a wedding from my firewire equipt movie camera and burn a
>> vcd of
>> it?  That would be the target job for me at the moment, the rest is
>> convienience stuff.  This is the only box with a firewire card
>> installed,
>> and the rest are slower boxes.
>
>I just use CentOS for servers, so I wouldn't know how kino is doing
>on CentOS, but the things you want to do (multimedia, firewire,
>movies) sound like you'd be better off with a Fedora upgrade. Is
>something keeping you from upgrading your FC2 install to a newer
>Fedora release? FC5 has a 2.6.17 kernel and probably the latest
>versions of packages, unless you compile everything yourself anyway.

I've built a considerable amount of this system now, so I'm not allergic to
the idea as long as the ./configure scripts can sort the dependencies.

>> I didn't know centos-4.4 was out, I may fire up azureas and nuke
>> the 4.3
>> dvd images I have now.
>
>Looking at the number of packages at http://mirror.centos.org/
>centos-4/4.4/updates/i386/RPMS/ I wouldn't bother. Just install 4.3
>and run a quick yum update to get to 4.4.

Yeah, I saw that, after I'd nuked the other 2 images and gotten the torrent
started.  Duh, hindsight is always 20-05 you know. :(