New proposed top level FAQ for the defunct FedoraLegacy project

David A. Ranch dranch at juniper.net
Thu Feb 8 22:26:37 UTC 2007

After the IRC conversations I had today with "F13", here is a proposed
FAQ for the top level http://fedoralegacy.org/ site.

--David

Fedora Core Legacy Shutdown FAQ:
02/08/07

--------------------------------

Q. Why is the FedoraLegacy project shutting down?

A. A combination of reasons:
    - A lack of community members that actually contributed to patches,
testing, deployment, etc.
    - A lack of funding
    - A decreasing amount of interest

--

Q. I just heard that FedoraLegacy is closing down.  Why didn't you give
any head notice?

A. This was heavily discussed on the "fedora-legacy-list" list.  It's
always been recommended that Legacy users
   be subscribed to this list to stay informed.

--

Q. Will FedoraLegacy take on support for FC6?

A. No, the entire Legacy project is over.  Upgrade to a newer version of
FedoraCore if you want security and feature
   patches or upgrade to a different distro such as Redhat Enterprise
Linux, Centos, or a different distro all
   together.

--

Q. My FedoraLegacy servers are now complaining about "No mirrors"
available.  Why?

A. The master repository was deemed stale for <=FC4 patches as of
December 12, 2006.  On February 7th, 2007, the
   master repository was completely shut down due to financial reasons.
Other Legacy repository mirrors
   should be still up but their content is now stale.

--

Q. Will I be able to continue downloading the Legacy RPMs for my older
distributions?

A. Legacy repository mirrors should be up for some period to come but
they will probably start individually removing
   that content as it's now stale.  Download it now while you still
can.  You can find a list of mirrors here:

      http://fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php

--

Q. So what do I do now?  I need a Redhat-style distribution that lasts
longer than Redhat's official 12-18 month

A. Use the official Redhat Enterprise Linux or Centos.

--

Q. How long will the FedoraLegacy website stay up?

A. ???

--

================

Issues :

    1. the toplevel fedoralegacy.org site says things are being
"Re-evaluated".  This should be updated
       to say something like "The Fedora Legacy project has ended.  The
master legacy download repository has shut down
       and no new RPMs will be to any mirrors."

    2. For the FAQ entry above, how long will the website stay up?  When
the site does go down, can we post this FAQ
       to a newgroup or something like that so it will be sucked into
the search engines of the world so people can
       find it?

    3. Maybe it would be best to strip out all content off the site and
only have the shutdown documentation posted.