where? security updates for FC4

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jan 4 01:40:56 UTC 2007

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
>>> You could upgrade to FC5 and later upgrade to CentOS 5?
>> Will most likely not work as expected : FC5 updates are going to out
>> strip the E-V-R for similar packages in EL5. And there is the issue of
>> orphan packages that in turn might be required based on installed role.
>
> And that won't happen when he stays at FC4 and then upgrades to CentOS
> when it comes out? I have to say I don't exactly understand what you're
> saying there though. I guess that if Florin wants a nice clean CentOS 5
> system it might better to reinstall.

sorry for not being very clear... here is the same thing in -vv mode :)

FC5 installed and then updated with all released packages will contain
packages that will by the time CentOS-5 is out there, already be newer
than whats included in CentOS-5. Which will create problems since those
packages will then not get yum updated to whats in the centos-5 repo's.

Add to this the problem of orphans - there might be packages in the
installed system that are not included in CentOS-5 at all! There will
need to be an audit and work out what these packages are - and if they
are even required on the machine.