Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

David Eisner cradle at umd.edu
Mon Jan 8 15:41:52 UTC 2007

R P Herrold wrote:
>>        "yum -y -t -c /etc/yum-upgrade.conf upgrade rpm kernel",
>>           [Segmentation fault happened here]
>
> hmmm --- wish I had more information here -- probably the instructions
> need to be updated to suggest removing all but the kernel in use; a
> pre-conversion 'yum -y clean all' would probably be prophylactic as well.

Actually, I did do a yum clean all before the conversion (should have
mentioned that in the notes).  My hunch was that, because the "Resolving
dependencies" stage took awhile,  some data structure was growing too
large and exposing a flaw in python or one of the libraries.

>> To solve this, I first tried upgrading python from python-2.2.2-26 to
>> python-2.2.3-26, using an RPM downloaded from www.python.org.  This
>
> ouch -- python version dependent matters are _so_ integral to a Red
> Hat derived system, that I consider that pretty 'daring'

I should mention that it was an RPM designed for RH9.  From
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.2.3/rpms/ :  "These RPMs are
built from Red Hat's SRPM, not the python.org tar-file. These RPMs are
meant to more closely match the standard Python provided by Red Hat."

> [...]
>
> Great -- Thank You, David.

And thanks, Russ, for the excellent instructions and your work on
CentOS.  I echo your thanks to Jesse et. al. for all their hard work
over the years.  I know it was a mostly thankless job.

-David