[Fedora-legal-list] Re: Legal Problem: md5 implementation

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 17:15:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 18:16 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> It should be enough to remove this license text (which is allowed since
> 2000) to make it GPL compatible.  Or, to make it legally perfect, remove
> the old code, take recent version of RFC 1321, copy reference code from
> it and remove the license text.

Only RSA can remove the license text, we can't do it, nor can the
upstream using the RSA code (unless that upstream is RSA).

The license text in the code itself trumps all. It trumps readmes and
"global email proclamations". Now, if RSA released a new file upstream
that was under a GPL compatible license, different story, but they have
not.

~spot