[Fedora-legal-list] Re: [Fedora-olpc-list] introduction and a question

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 25 15:45:52 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 10:28 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
>> Any suggestions as to how to proceed then? The VPRI team has agreed to
>> remove/rewrite any contributions that people don't want relicensed.
>
> Either of those options would be the logical next step (you have to
> assume that non-responsive contributors do not agree to a relicensing,
> unless there is some sort of contributor agreement in place which
> stipulates otherwise). When the source tree is 100% MIT (or some other
> equally free license), then we should have no problem including it in
> Fedora.

When there was a discussion about the possibility of relicensing the
Linux kernel to GPLv3, there was a proposal that involved the legality
of unilateral declaration followed by a time gap for opposition instead
of getting explicit written agreement from all the contributors. You
might want to talk to Red Hat Legal to check whether this is a
possibility. It sounded more like a leap of faith than law but one can
never assume laws to be logical.

Rahul