[Fedora-legal-list] ProjectX

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Apr 14 20:25:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 04/14/2009 03:53 PM, Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> > Would it be possible to package ProjectX in Fedora
> > (http://project-x.sourceforge.net/)?  It is a DVB demuxing tool.  The
> > license is GPLv2+, so that part is fine.  I understand MPEG2 is a
> > patented codec
> > (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#DVD_Playback) but does
> > that also affect a tool that just demultiplexes the stream?
>
> We permit code that only does demuxing. It can't also encode/decode. If
> ProjectX meets those criteria, it should be okay.

I think ProjectX does quite a bit more than just demuxes (attempts to repair
streams etc).

See also http://project-x.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/project-x/Project-
X/ReadMe.txt?revision=1.22&view=markup

   34  For a program compliant to the international standards ISO 11172
   35  and ISO 13818 it is inevitable to use methods covered by patents
   36  in various countries. The authors of this program disclaim any
   37  liability for patent infringement caused by using, modifying or
   38  redistributing this program.