[Fedora-legal-list] Does input method table count as software?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 12:38:27 UTC 2009

On 08/10/2009 01:41 AM, Ding-Yi Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am packing Dayi3, a Chinese input method for IBus.
>
> The license of the table (as shown in
> http://code.google.com/p/openvanilla/source/browse/trunk/Modules/SharedData/dayi3.cin )
>
> states:
>
>     This table is authorized by Taiyi (http://www.dayi.com) for free
>     download and use.
>
>     Users may not distribute the modified character encoding rules,
>     but can change the table format for other input method and platform.

Even if it was determined to be content, they explicitly do not give
permission for us to redistribute (they actually say that we don't have
permission to distribute the modified rules, but they never say that we
do have permission to distribute the unmodified rules).

That license is not acceptable for Fedora.

~spot