[Fedora-legal-list] 12 dynamic GPL link problems

Julius Davies juliusdavies at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 04:13:11 UTC 2009

Thanks for your reply, Tom.

That's fascinating how these resolved!
kdebase-workspace -> qedje
kdebase-workspace -> qzion
kdebase3 -> libsmbclient

As for:
* -> readline
Since all of the Readline issues are essentially this problem:
(gplv2) -> (gplv3+), I'm wondering if maybe Fedora-12 upgraded
Readline a little too soon, and should have held on to an older GPLv2+
version of Readline a little longer.  This wouldn't have helped with
the PHP issue, but certainly takes care of these.

As for:
eclipse-callgraph -> systemtap
Probably Eclipse could insert an LGPL "eclipse-callgraph-systemtap"
module inbetween those two to play it safe?  Or maybe Eclipse calls
systemtap via exec(), so it's okay?  In this case I didn't spend that
much time trying to figure out if it truly is a dynamic linking
problem.  I was also getting a little bit stuck on the fact systemtap
is a script interpreter, so do the scripts need to be GPLv2+?  (I
suspect not, otherwise all bash scripts would also have to be
GPLv3+!).  Sorry, still a bit of a newb on these issues.  This page
you wrote has been *invaluable* !
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

As for:
ghostscript -> urw-fonts
help undergrads with their homework.  ;-)  But I think my professor
might be subscribed to the list, so he'll adjust my mark accordingly.
:-p

By the way, the 12 license problems I sent to the list are not just a
random sample.  They are the only 12 I could find in all of Fedora 12.
 Maybe my techniques will improve and I will find more, but for now
this is all I got.

yours,

Julius

--