[Fedora-legal-list] Please define "effective license" (for the love of consistency)

Julius Davies juliusdavies at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 04:29:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

Maybe the overall "master" copyright license for the Fedora
compilation causes every single GPL+ compatible file inside Fedora to
be licensed as GPL+ ?  So every LGPL, BSD, MIT file which *can* be
relicensed in this way *is" even if such a relicensing is unnecessary
for license compliance?  Take a look at this file on your Fedora
CDROM:

ftp://ftp.nrc.ca/pub/systems/linux/redhat/fedora/linux/releases/12/Everything/i386/os/GPL
-----------
The following copyright applies to the Fedora compilation and any
portions of Fedora it does not conflict with. Whenever this
policy does conflict with the copyright of any individual portion of Fedora,
it does not apply.

		    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
		       Version 2, June 1991

[Rest of file is verbatim copy of GPLv2 license.]
-----------

Notice I'm saying GPL+ and not GPLv2+ because of information on the
"Licensing:FAQ - FedoraProject" wiki page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/FAQ

If neither the source, nor the upstream composed documentation says
anything about the license version, then it could be under _ANY_
version of the GPL. The version listed in COPYING is irrelevant from
this perspective. Technically it could be under any license, but if
all we have to go by is COPYING, we'll use COPYING to imply that it is
under the GPL, all versions (GPL+).

yours,

Julius