[Fedora-legal-list] question on a new license in a new package.

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 19:26:23 UTC 2009

On 2009-02-26 at 11:12:38 -0500, Mike Christie <mchristi at redhat.com> wrote:

> The problem is that this SNAI licsense is not listed under good licenses
> here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing
> so I wanted to get it cleared, but the link to the license in the
> headers is a dead link.

So, in looking into this, I noticed that the 1.1 license says this in
its Exhibit A (which the license says you have to apply to your source
code):

"The contents of this file are subject to the SNIA Public License
Version 1.0 (the "License");"

This is why we are confused trying to track down a 1.0 version where
none exists. The 1.1 versioning comes from the MPL, which is what this
license is derived from. These files are actually under the 1.1 version,
but because of the typo, they have to say 1.0. Sloppy, sloppy, and might
be why SNIA isn't using this license anymore.

Nevertheless, the license is Free but GPL incompatible. I've added it to
the Licensing list.

Use:

License: SNIA

~spot