[Fedora-legal-list] policy on shipping/using flags

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 20:29:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:08:04PM -0800, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> I recently found that Deluge is using country flags to indicate the
> location of bittorrent peers. Flags are cute and nice of course (and a
> mental exercise), but are geopolitical hot spots.

I don't really have anything to add other than that this seems like a
good topic, you've given the scope some good thought.  If this is not
really on-topic for legal, you could bring it to
fedora-advisory-board.

What I've always "heard" about why we don't use flags for languages in
fact matches what is on wiki/Languages.  I always considered it simple
respect for the varying opinions in the world, combined with the fact
that a language is not the same as a country, so using flags is
inaccurate.

For a torrent tracker that is in fact tied to a country of origin for
the torrent source, the flag makes sense.  The upstream has to be
willing to keep that updated, though; when a country changes flags,
for example.  However, is there a source for free-as-in-freedom images
for all flags?  Is Deluge making their own?

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41