[Fedora-legal-list] policy on shipping/using flags

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Wed Jan 14 07:10:05 UTC 2009

[Please forgive the lack of a proper Reply-To header for threading on
this one. I subscribed to this list only after reading the beginnings of
this thread on the archives, and have copied the content into this
message from those postings.]

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:29:08 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> For a torrent tracker that is in fact tied to a country of origin for
> the torrent source, the flag makes sense.

The way Deluge upstream uses the flags is to mark the country of origin
for the details in the "Peers" information tab, so that's not really
applicable here.

> The upstream has to be willing to keep that updated, though; when a
> country changes flags, for example.  However, is there a source for
> free-as-in-freedom images for all flags?  Is Deluge making their own?

Well, the flags that Deluge uses are PD images from FamFamFam.com [1],
and the Deluge developers do intend (as is my understanding) to keep
them updated. However, the original source is rather old (from 2005
according to File Roller) so I do not know if _that_ upstream is
inactive simply from lack of necessity or due to other priorities.

[1] http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/

And, Roozbeh: Thanks very much for bringing up this discussion in such a
thought-provoking way. I hope we can get this issue resolved - one way
or the other - in a timely manner. :)

Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter at thecodergeek.com>
「ゴードン・ピーター」