[Fedora-legal-list] Truly public namespaces on Fedora wiki

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:37:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:58:26AM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:47:43AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> > I would rather have any publicly editable pages include prominent notice
> > near the "Save Page" button that by hitting the "Save Page" button,
> > you're indicating that all changes made are done under the OPL license,
> > and if you do not agree with these terms, you should not make changes.
> >
> > I'd also like to minimize the amount of namespaces which are designed to
> > be publicly editable without signing the CLA.
>
> I agree with this too.  Maybe we can get Ian "WikiNinja" Weller or
> Nigel "G-Man" Jones to get a proper and prominent notice attached to
> the wiki, above or next to the Save controls.
>
> Since it's been made immutable, I can't access the notice we used on
> the Moin wiki, but I'm almost certain we had one there.  Shall we just
> use that text, if someone can retrieve it?

Well wouldn't ya know it, a WikiMedia website -- the MediaWiki help
pages -- are a precedent for this sort of thing. Their entire Help:
namespace is public domain so that other wikis can import it without
problem.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents
http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Help:Signatures&action=edit

Now, how does this work?

http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Copyrightwarning&action=edit

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36