[Fedora-legal-list] fwsnort vs. snort TM

Peter Vrabec pvrabec at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 09:28:28 UTC 2009

Dear Fedora Legal,

I'd like to push fwsnort into Fedora, but I'm afraid there might be problem
with snort TM.

http://www.snort.org/legal/snort-licensing/snort-trademark-guidelines

I have contacted fwsnort upstream and I was told they didn't have any approval
from Sourcefire Marketing. But there are more projects that use term snort on
freshmeat.net. Snort is released under GPL. fwsnort doesn't use any VRT
licensed Snort rules and fwsnort had probably existed before snort TM.

Could you please help me to clean up this issue. thnx.

Peter.