[Fedora-legal-list] Openstreetmap moving to Open Database License (ODbL)

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 5 17:16:08 UTC 2009

>> Therefore I'd like to know if this license would permit to include
>> Openstreetmap contents (e.g. maps) in the Fedora Project or if it has
>> some problems.
>>
> Looking at the Factual Information License, I've got some concerns. I
> asked Red Hat Legal to take a look at it, and this was their reply:

[snip]

> (RH Legal is still looking at the ODBL, they should have comments on
> that later, which I will pass along).

Thank you Andrea for bringing this issue here, and thank you Tom for
looking at it.

I'm currently developing shomyu (which might eventually get its way
into Fedora one day) and it uses OSM data, so I'm really concerned
about this licensing change.

/me blesses the day he decided to join this list

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin