[Fedora-legal-list] "content" in source tarball

Christian Krause chkr at plauener.de
Fri Mar 6 18:45:05 UTC 2009

Hello,

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 03/06/2009 03:39 AM, Christian Krause wrote:
>
>> The original tarball includes a couple of sample files
>> with different licenses (some are not acceptable for Fedora). That's why
>> the tarball gets re-generated without the samples before it gets packaged.
>>

> So, the question is whether we need to ship a modified tarball or not.
> I'd need to look at the licenses in order to determine that.

I'm sorry, probably there was some misunderstanding:

Upstream is willing to to remove all non-GPL samples from the upstream
tarball.
So the final upstream tarball would still contain "content" files, but
all under GPL.

However, the packaging guidelines discourage the packaging of any
content. So my question is:

Is it allowed to have content in the shipped tarball/src.rpm when it is
licensed under the GPL?

Best regards,
Christian