[Fedora-legal-list] Linking an LGPL library statically to an GPL program

Christian Krause chkr at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 16 23:03:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

during a package review I've stumbled over the following problem:

- a package ships the following in its tarball:
a LGPLv2 library
a GPLv2+ main application
- the main application statically links the library and only the
resulting binary is shipped in the final rpm

If I interpret
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#GPL_Compatibility_Matrix
correctly, the 2nd table should be consulted and so this mix is
acceptable and the license mentioned in the spec file should be GPLv2+
(since the resulting binary would have this license).

I'm a little bit unsure about:
- Does the fact, that the library is statically linked, affects the
compatibility or does the same rules apply as for dynamic linking?
- Since the LGPL sources would be in the src.rpm, do we have to mention
both licenses in the spec file?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Christian