Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Linking an LGPL library statically to an GPL program

On 11/16/2009 06:03 PM, Christian Krause wrote:

> I'm a little bit unsure about:
> - Does the fact, that the library is statically linked, affects the
> compatibility or does the same rules apply as for dynamic linking?

For the purposes of Fedora's licensing, no, it doesn't really make a
difference.

> - Since the LGPL sources would be in the src.rpm, do we have to mention
> both licenses in the spec file?

You can, but you do not need to. We determine License based on the binaries:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/LicensingGuidelines#License:_field

Since the binary is a combination of the LGPLv2+ static library and the
GPLv2+ application code, while technically, the resulting work is
LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+, by honoring the terms of the GPLv2+, you are always
honoring the terms of LGPLv2+, so it is not necessary to explicitly list
it in the License tag.

~spot