[Fedora-legal-list] FC12: wireshark: GPLv2 and GPLv3+

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 02:32:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:18:02 -0800
Julius Davies <juliusdavies at gmail.com> wrote:

> GPLv2,GPLv2+
> wireshark-1.2.2/epan/dissectors/packet-dlm3.c
>

> GPLv3+
> wireshark-1.2.2/tools/pidl/lib/Parse/Pidl/Samba4/Template.pm
>

> The strict GPLv2 in packet-dlm3.c is coming from this:
>

> /*
>  * #defines are mostly copied from
>  * *.[ch] files in linux/fs/dlm/ and linux/include/linux/dlm.h
>  *
>  * dlm_internal.h:
>  *
> **  Copyright (C) Sistina Software, Inc.  1997-2003  All rights
> reserved. **  Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Red Hat, Inc.  All rights
> reserved. ** **  This copyrighted material is made available to
> anyone wishing to use, **  modify, copy, or redistribute it subject
> to the terms and conditions **  of the GNU General Public License v.2.
>  *
> */

If your concern is that the "GPLv2-only" notice on dlm_internal.h is
causing a GPLv2/GPLv3 license incompatibility here (I have no opinion
on that issue) - to the extent that Red Hat holds copyright in that
code (including Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat), it is
available as "GPLv2 or later", despite what the notice says.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard E. Fontana
Open Source Licensing and Patent Counsel