Problems with partitioning in RH9

mafelix at apropo.ro mafelix at apropo.ro
Tue Aug 5 07:42:46 UTC 2003

Hi,

 I am trying to install RH9 from CD on a 40 Gig HD in a brand new system. Choose automatic
 partitioning  with Disk Druid on hda, get the three recommended partitions:

 dev/hda1    /boot               ext3              102 MB                   1        13
 dev/hda2    /                      ext3             38492 MB              14       4933
 dev/hda3                           swap            510 MB                  4934    4998

    and when trying to install the packages I get a window saying "Formatting /
 filesystem" and the system  freezes right there! After 1-2 minutes another warning "An error occured
trying to format hda2. This  problem is serious  and the install cannot continue. Please  to reboot your
 system". Choosing  manual partitioning with Disk Druid produces the same output. I also tried  to install
Red  Hat 8 and Mandrake 9.0 /9.1 and the same result: installation stops at partitioning!

  Several times the install process produced a bug report regarding anaconda and asked me
 to save it on a  diskette but the install terminated with a crash and I could not save the info!

 A crash or a reboot follows and I have no clue what is the problem! Maybe my BIOS has a
 problem with
 the disk geometry! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

 Felix

  http://www.apropo.ro