An official trademark policy for CheapBytes-type RHL CDs?

James J. Ramsey jjramsey_6x9eq42 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 01:39:49 UTC 2003

--- Charles Bronson <packetgeek at chuckiechanboys.com>
wrote:
> James J. Ramsey wrote:
> > --- Charles Bronson
> <packetgeek at chuckiechanboys.com>
> > wrote:
> >>but rather that customers from the other
> distributers
> >>expected the same level of
> >>technical support(free) that the people who bought
> >>an official boxed received.
> >

> > But now Red Hat won't be selling official boxes
> *at
> > all*, let alone ones with the privilege of tech
> > support. That changes the landscape dramatically.
>
> Other issues aside(because I'm afraid I was pushing
> the discussion OT), this
> still doesn't solve the problem of people buying
> third party disc's then calling
> RH tech support expecting free assistance and then
> getting pissed at RH because
> they have to pay for the help.

The problem might be solved by an appropriate
trademark, maybe "Red Hat Unsupported Edition" or "Red
Hat Free Download Edition." Also, the problem of
people getting pissed at RH tech support now has to be
weighed against the problem of making clear where Red
Hat CDs can be found (since *only* third parties will
make them available).