browser problem

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Aug 20 20:13:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:56, Shadhin rahman wrote:
> My browser was not working properly, it did not
> execute any javasript enable pages.  So, I enabled

Did you enable JavaScript (not Java, totally different things) ?
Also, are you sure JavaScript wasn't working?  It may just be the pages
you were viewing were only made for Internet Exploder, and won't work w/
Netscape or Mozilla.

> java on my browser.  it did not help.  I installed
> most updated browser, netscape 7.1 and mozilla 1.5.
> Unfortunately it did not help either.  I installed
> most updated version of jvm.  Now when I tried to
> launch netscape,  I get an error message and I am not
> able to view java enabled webpages.  The error message
> is given below

Where did you get the Mozilla 1.5 package from?  What version of Redhat
are you running?  Where did you get the JVM from?  If they are not all
compatible, you'll get an error like the one below.  You need to make
sure your Mozilla and JVM are compiled for your version of Redhat - if
you are using a recent Redhat 8 or Redhat 9, you'll need GCC3 compiled
packages.  The latest JVM for Linux from Sun (1.4.2 beta) should be GCC3
compiled; I'm not sure about binaries of Mozilla provided from
Mozilla.org.

You shouldn't have to upgrade at all tho to just enable JavaScript,
since it's built into the browser.

> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/local/netscape/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> [/usr/local/netscape/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
> undefined symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]
>

> Anyone has any idea about how can I fix this error.
>
> P.S  Special thanks to Aron Bannet and Steve Bergmen
> for giving instruction about text mode.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.