Usernames

Maybe this is the wrong list to ask this on. If so, please accept my appogies and kindly redirect me.

I noticed in Shrike and now Severn that usernames can only be lowercase (at least in the GUI tool, I haven't checked useradd). I am wondering why caps are no longer allowed?

Thank you.
--
(¬_    Some days you're the windshield    >o)
//\    Some days you're the bug...        /\\