doughnuts on a fish hook

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Wed Aug 27 04:02:06 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:40  PM, Steve Bergman wrote:

> This tells me two things:
>
> 1. RedHat is one hell of a great Open Source company and truly believes
> in Open Source.

I believe this is true as well.  With the caveat that the licensing of
RHEL is ambiguous (I mean, is it GPL, or isn't it?  Will I get sued for
putting RHEL 2.1 ISO's on my web site?  Handing them out to people?)
But their commitment to GPL'ing all of their work is admirable and sets
them apart in my mind from competitors like SuSE.

> 2. RHLP is vitally important to the future of the RHEL line.

Yes.  Which is why the concerns expressed here need to be repeated
daily until someone from RH takes them seriously.

> It may well be that someone at RedHat was *too* excited about the RHLP.

I think perhaps that more preparation should have gone into the
announcement.  Much of the web content or at least the framework should
have been in place at the time of the announcement.  But the time for
that is behind us.  The best thing that can be done now is to address
those concerns expediently.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish