doughnuts on a fish hook

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 09:52:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:10:21AM -0400, Magnus wrote:
> Let's say Joe has 50 RHEL servers, all pretty much identical, and
> properly licensed.  There is a flurry of security activity one week and
> it takes about 50MB of new packages to patch one system.  That's not
> much of a reach.  Each of the 50 servers downloads 50MB of packages
> through https (i.e. not cached anywhere) over Joe's single business
> class DSL connection.  2500MB of downloads, split up across 50 clients,
> all hitting a DSL connection at once (not to mention the RHN servers).
> This is lunacy.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date , change

storageDir[comment]=Where to store packages and other data when they are retrieved
storageDir=/your_NFS_storage/var/spool/up2date

and

keepAfterInstall[comment]=Keep packages on disk after installation
keepAfterInstall=1

There is a risk associated in the sense that there is no synchronization
of the downloads, and I don't know what would happen if machine A and
machine B try to download the same RPM at the same time, but the worse
which can happen is a corrupted package which will be detected by the
MD5 checksum check of rpm, will be reported and manual intervention can
then clean it up.

Daniel