Potentially objectionable xscreensaver module (GLSnake)

Matthew Zimmerman mzimmerman at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 2 21:19:05 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:45:35PM -0500, Sean Millichamp wrote:
> I just wanted to let everyone know that the xscreensaver module
> "GLSnake" has two object displays that some folks might feel is
> inappropriate or objectionable.
>
> Much to my surprise, I stumbled across it drawing an "erect penis" when
> I returned from lunch today.  So I did some investigating:
>
> $ strings /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/glsnake | grep penis
> erect penis
> flaccid penis
>
> $ rpm -q xscreensaver
> xscreensaver-4.14-2

Oh, and there are several more. Browsing the xscreensaver-4.14
source reveals a third "Penis" (with a capital P), a "vagina",
"k's turd", and one called "arse gegl" (anybody seen this one?).

While actually patching the source to remove these models would
be Very Wrong[TM], might it not be a bad idea to remove this one
from the list of hacks enabled by default?

-- Matt
[who wonders how many spam filters he's triggering right now]

--
      Matt

      Matthew Zimmerman
      Interdisciplinary Biophysics, University of Virginia
      http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mdz4c/