Also having problems installing new kernel

nosp nosp at xades.com
Wed Dec 3 10:11:41 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 04:51, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, nosp wrote:
> > People have mentioned problems with the kernel-source rpm...is the one
> > you've downloaded ok?  This is the one I've got successfully installed:
> >
> > # ls -l kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.i386.rpm
> > -rw-r--r--    1 XX XX 41297002 Dec  2 16:44
> > kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.i386.rpm
>
> That would be it. As others have now pointed out, it may very well be that
> not all of the file was downloaded.

Glad we  identified the problem.

>  But I have tried both yum and RHN, and
> I get the same error. Now, here's a question: How do I add mirrors
> to RHN and yum.conf? Yum.conf just sounds like I give a site a name and
> blammo, I'm there. Is that right? As for Up2date, I assume I need to run
> update-config.

For yum, you probably want to replace the default repo URL with your
desired mirror URL -- adding another section (with name, URL, etc.)
would make yum check both the original and the mirror site (probably not
what you want).  You can put multiple urls in each [server] entry in
yum.conf but yum will consider those as a list of servers to try until
it successfully connects to one, not the much more complex behavior of
connecting to all of the listed urls and trying to figure out which one
is the fastest.  So you will have to decide which mirror is fastest
manually and set that one as the first/only repo in the yum.conf
setting.

For up2date I think you just get one url per "site" so, again, you have
to find the best mirror for yourself manually.

> Question: how fast are the mirror sites in getting the updates, compared
> with the master at RH?

It seems that announcements aren't made until mirror sites are already
updated.  So you shouldn't generally have to wait unless your particular
mirror is having problems.