ACPI on laptop not working after passing acpi=on to kernel

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Dec 3 18:58:44 UTC 2003

> I have installed Fedora Core 1 on my laptop but the ACPI is not working. I
> have edited the grub.conf to pass acpi=on as a boot option. However, there is
> no /proc/acpi directory. The documentation does not say I need to do anything
> else. Does anyone have any ideas what I need to do?

You should inspect /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg for any entry
regarding acpi. Perhaps you will find an error message. If you don't
find an acpi message, probably there is a typo in your grub file.

It should read like:

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2129.nptl) ACPI
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl ro acpi=on
root=/dev/Volume00/Fedora
hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.img

(the two lines after kernel .... being on the same line as kernel ....)

Peter