avoid nvidia?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Dec 4 00:05:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:49:15PM -0800, Don wrote:
> I'm finally getting fed up with my ancient Pentium 60MHz 96MByte Ram,
> machine and am thinking of buying a replacement for the sole purpose of
> running Fedora.... I don't really care if the GUI works, I'll probably set
> the machine at runlevel 3 (is that the one for "normal" use, non-gui?)
>
> But, I would like to be able to run X if I needed to...

So, you're looking to build a (mainly) server, with some light-duty
X. When running X are you going to need 3-D acceleration (for, perhaps,
games like Tux RAcer, or chromium, etc.), or will any old thing that
does 1024x768 x16bpp do the trick? If you want good 3-D accel, there
aren't very many choices, basically nvidia or ATI. As I understand it
they both have proprietary drivers, so there's no difference, really.

If you don't care for performance, something like an old 8 meg ATI
Xpert-98 (Rage-Pro) or even a 2 or 4 meg cheapo PCI card will do
just fine, as long as there's an X driver for it.

Though I have brought up Fedora on a box, it's not my main system. My
main system is still RH72, with an Nvidia Geforce-4 MX/440 card, and
I have had no trouble at all with Nvidia's drivers on that platform.

> >From what I've seen on this list there's a lot of comments/problems with
> nvidia graphics cards.... if I'm looking to buy a machine, should I avoid
> nvidia all together? And if so, what's a better choice?
>
> I'm looking to spend around $600-$800 ... I don't need a monitor, keyboard,
> mouse, I don't even need a large hard disk. I thought I would remove
> whatever hard disk comes with it, putting in a "spare" 120GB disk I have.
>
> What am I going to do with this machine:
>     - run apache
>     - run sendmail
>     - run squirelmail
>     - a few other little odds and ends... it's just for fun :-)
> Don Russell
>
> (North America: Pacific Time Zone)
>
>         \|/
>        (. .)