LVM

Thomas Munck Steenholdt tmus at get2net.dk
Thu Dec 4 08:50:49 UTC 2003

> Hi Everyone
>
> I have a old IBM server 320. I need to create a volume group as there is
> not
> enough space to perform upgrades etc.
> As I can only only do a text install and you cannot create Logical Volumes
> in the text install, i have installed the OS on one of the 2 gig drives in
> the machine. I then go about trying to create an LVM etc. (Please remember
> that these are SCSI drives)
> I manage to create a volume group on the remaining 2 drives and then
> create
> a logical volume on these. I then mount this as an ext3 and copy the
> entire
> os over using find / -xdev | cpio -pvmd /mnt
> This all works fine. I then run lvmcreate_initrd to create a new ramdisk.
> go to my boot which is on a different partition and edit grub.conf so that
> it reflects the ramdisk and i change the kernel parameter to point to the
> logical volume ie. /dev/vg1/root
> I also edit the fstab so that the /dev/vg1/root is mounted as /.
> I then reboot and get the following error:
> vgscan -- no volume groups found
> VFS: Cannot open root device "vg1/root" or 00:00
> Kernel panic
>
> When I boot this ramdisk I don't see it loading the SCSI modules anywhere.
> I'm sure this has something to do with this. How does the ramdisk store
> the
> modules for this?
>
> Please help. This is very frustrating and very urgent. I am not sure what
> I'm doing wrong.
>
> Thanks
> Brendon
>

> ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
>

> The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of
> the author and not those
> of the FirstRand Banking Group or its management.  The information in this
> e-mail is confidential
> and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone
> else is unauthorised.
> distribution or any action taken or
> omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity
> of information and data
> transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no
> liability or
> responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for
> whatever reason, corrupted
> or does not reach its intended destination.

Try to add
'alias block-major-58 lvm-mod'
and
'alias char-major-109 lvm-mod'
to your modules.conf

then mkinitrd /boot/initrd-KERNELVER.img KERNELVER --with=lvm-mod

That should make sure that both LVM and any SCSI module gets loaded at
boot time...

I can't tell you for sure that this will fix your problem, but I would say
its a good place to start!

Hope this helps

Thomas