Palm device connection

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Dec 4 12:55:21 UTC 2003

> > I just installed Fedora Core 1 and am trying to sync my Tungsten T3
> > in Evolution.  The Gnome Palm Setting app asks me to enter the
> > device.  I've tried /dev/ttyUSB0 through ttyUSB7 and none seem to
> > work.
>
> Are the /dev/ttyUSB* devices owned by your userid, or are they owned
> by root:uucp?

>From Bryan Anderson:
> I had trouble with my Clie, but found that making a link to
> /dev/ttyUSB0 and calling it /dev/pilot and then setting
> Evolution/Palm settings to /dev/pilot, it worked first time.

Bryan's fix is the right one. If you set all the ttyUSB* nodes to
console ownership (as the suggested patch does), this could negatively
impact on USB printer (or other device) sharing or other such stuff.
Better to set a link with /dev/pilot pointing to /dev/ttyUSB0,
/dev/ttyUSB1 or wherever is the appropriate device, and then the
in-place /etc/security/console.perms works fine.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE