Using Lexmark X6170 with FC1

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Dec 6 16:56:53 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 10:47:39AM -0500, James Drabb wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 00:37, Graeme Willox wrote:
> > I have a Lexmark X6170 multi-function centre, which I currently run
> > under Windows XP.  It is a scanner/printer/fax which connects to my PC
> > via a USB cable.  Lexmark have advised me that they have no plans to
> > develop Linux drivers for this machine and pointed me in the direction
> > of the Linux Printer Driver Developer Kit.

Lexmark is not Linux-friendly. They have closed-source drivers for
a few low-end inkjets, and nothing else that I'm aware of. (in fact I
didn't know they had a "linux printer driver developer kit", which may
be good news for those with datascope and lots of patience).

I have a Lexmark printer here, but I carefully sought out one of the
few PostScript inkjet printers in the world (Optra Color 40), so I
have little difficulty with it since PostScript is our "native language",
so to speak.