problem connecting windows client over fedora firewall

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 19:00:42 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 04:06, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having strange problems connecting a win2k client to the internet using my
> firewall/nat.
>
> My fedora machine acts as DNS and does NAT. This works since all my Linux
> clients can connect to the internet very well.
> The win2k machine is dual boot and the linux part on that machine also
> connects well.
>
> The exact problem that I have is that when I want to browse a page, only a
> part of the page gets loaded and IE simply keeps on searching for the rest of
> it, but will never finish.This means that DNS is working.Also something gets
> through, so I would say nat is also working. It beats me why the pages stop

First off, have you check your log files?  Look in both the fedora logs
as well as the event viewer in w2k.  Either might give you a clue of
what the problem is.

Next, try to isolate your problem.

1)Can your w2k communicate successfully with your fedora machine?  Try
transferring a large file between machines.

2)If you connect your w2k machine directly to the Internet, can it
download pages successfully?

Verify your settings:
1)Do you have a proxy server, such as squid, installed?

2) check your tcp/ip settings in w2k.

3) check your internet options in IE.

Remove your firewall to make sure it isn't causing the problem (though
messages should be showing up in the log if it is.)  Don't leave
yourself unprotected for more than a few minutes.

Use at packet sniffing tool such as ethereal to determine what is
causing the problem.

Clifford