Terminal

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Mon Dec 8 05:05:03 UTC 2003

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:56:58 -0700, you wrote:

>Man Im full of questions,
>
>Anyway, Im trying to install some nvida drivers and it says I need to
>log out of the xserver and run a terminal....how would I do that?

Others have already posted about how to change your runlevel, but I
would like to add a bit of my own experiences here too, for your
consideration.

Just yesterday I upgraded to the latest RHL9 kernel and I too have the
latest NVidia drivers installed. Upon reboot into the new kernel I
found the NVidia drivers would not work, but that was no surprise. I
had to run the NVidia driver installation again, for the new kernel,
and in the process it had to recompile itself to fit the new kernel.
All went well and I was immediately able to startx successfully.

The thing is.... I believe it was much less bother for me to do this
since I always boot into the Text mode first, then Startx. You might
want to consider doing the same if you are going to stick with NVidia
drivers.

--
Dennis C.